1. Am I eligible to apply?
Each scholarship fund has its own specific eligibility criteria which the donor established when the fund was created. Please read through each scholarships' criteria to see if you are eligible to apply.
Requirements that apply to most funds:
- Be a graduating high school senior from a Hamilton County, TN high school
- Demonstrate financial need
- Applied to or have been accepted to attend a regionally accredited two- or four-year, technical, non-proprietary, or community college or university.
- Have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
2. How much does it cost to apply for a scholarship?
There is no charge to apply.
3. What do I send in?
Mail or hand-deliver the scholarship application along with required supplemental documents to the address on the the application by the deadline: Usually the application requires the following:
- Scholarship application (typed or completed in black or blue ink)
- Copy of Student Aid Report (SAR) (SAR available at www.fafsa.gov.)
- Official Transcript
- Essay (required for some scholarships)
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (required for some scholarships)
4. Are scholarship grants taxable?
For degree-seeking students, the grant used for tuition, fees, books and supplies is not taxable. Any portion of the scholarship that is used for room and board or miscellaneous expenses is taxable. For non-degree seeking students, the entire scholarship is taxable. Consult a tax expert for advice.
5. Where can I go to school with these scholarships?
Scholarships from the CFGC are intended for a regionally accredited, non-proprietary, technical, community or four year college/university. The school does not need to be in Chattanooga or Tennessee.
6. Can I apply for more than one scholarship?
You can apply to all the scholarships for which you are eligible and may be selected as a recipient for more than one.
7. Do I need to pay scholarship money back?
Charitable grants like the scholarships given by the CFGC do not need to be paid back.
8. Who makes the decision about who is awarded?
The Foundation forms a Selection Committee each year, and the committee is responsible for processing the application materials and deciding who is awarded.
9. If I am awarded, do I get the check?
No, the scholarship you are awarded will be sent directly to your school's financial aid office. The scholarship is divided into two payments - one check is sent in August for the first (Fall) semester and the other is sent in January (Spring) for the second semester.
10. What can my scholarship(s) be used for?
The scholarships can be used for any educational expenses: tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, and other miscellaneous school expenses.
11. When would I be notified?
Recipients of any scholarship are notified in Mid to late May.
12. If I receive a scholarship, where do I send the thank you note?
Thank you notes are highly encouraged. Selection committees enjoy reading thank you notes and, if you were fortunate to have received one or more scholarships from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga, address your note to "Scholarship Committee" and mail it to:
Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga Scholarship Department
1270 Market Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402